Saturday, November 2, 2013

My Experience with Weddings: The Beginning


The earliest memory I have of attending a wedding is a vivid one. I remember sitting on the church pew next to my parents wearing a darling dress, bow in my hair and shiny shoes on my feet- complete with a pouty face, crossed arms and wishing I wasn't 3 years old. 

In September of 1993, a dear family friend got married. I was too young at the time to understand what a bridal party was or even comprehend the meaning of a marriage, but I was fully aware of the definition of a flower girl and so anxiously wanted to be one. Being a flower girl meant I'd get to wear a pretty dress, have my hair in an updo, get a manicure, smile for the camera and walk down the aisle before the bride. In my 3-year-old mind, flower girls were of equal status to a princess and were tasked with the most important job at a wedding. 

The moment came around when my mother approached me and my sister to tell us the bride to be was in need of a flower girl and requested that my sister fill the position. I-was-devastated. 

Did the bride not know how important being a flower girl was? How badly I wanted it? How qualified I was to gracefully throw the flower petals on the floor? Seeing my disappointment, my mother sympathetically explained that I was too young to be in the wedding and my sister, who is just 1 year my senior, was of age. 

The day of the wedding arrived. Although saddened I was not a flower girl, I was mesmerized by the entire experience. The décor, the colors, the flowers, the beautiful dresses, the bride’s gown- I truly was enchanted to be there. It was in that moment of awe that the fantasy of weddings in my 3-year-old mind and the desire in my little heart to be in a wedding, collided—consequently conceiving my love of weddings.

Fast-forward 20 years and here I am, still passionate about weddings. Over the years I’ve attended countless weddings, have been a flower girl and bridesmaid on numerous occasions, and haven’t stopped dreaming about the beauty of weddings.



No comments:

Post a Comment