Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Poetic Reflection: What Desire Governs Your Life?

Poem Inspired by Psalm 84:2
“My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”

How wretched is my soul oh Lord
To thirst for temporal things
To believe the riches of this world
Can replace you, my everything.

Rid me of my fixation
To seek shelter in earthly things
And teach my heart oh Lord
To make you its rightful king.

Transform my spirit to be like the psalmist
Content in communion with you
Fervently craving to spend more time
With the one I ought to cling to.

To know you better, to love you deeper
It’s truly what my heart longs for
But the daily distractions and selfish ambitions
My time and attention they mercilessly implore.

Cleanse me of myself
And turn my eyes to you
Oh Lord, make me righteous
For it is you I want to pursue.

Help me be a better disciple
Abandoning my selfish ways
To seek your kingdom above all else
Giving you all glory and praise.

One day I will be in your heavenly courts
Praising you in sinless form
But until that day, while on this earth
Give me strength to not conform.

By: Rachel Ruth 

No comments:

Post a Comment