Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Beauty in Perspective

Laura Johnson
Song of Solomon 4:7 says "You are altogether beautiful my love; there is no flaw in you." We have been told we are beautifully perfect, so why don't we always believe it? 

I'm not saying we all look like natural supermodels. It seems like we can never truly have it all. In fact, I argue even the supermodels find imperfections with themselves. It's natural to find the little flaws in our physical appearance when we are constantly looking in mirrors and comparing ourselves to others in today's modern world.

As for me, I ignore the flaws. Do I know they are there? Sure. Do I consider them imperfections? No. I believe God ultimately constructed the most beautiful version of myself that he could. I have always felt one of the best ways to honor our parents is to look at ourselves in the mirror and see the weavings of our ancestors, in all the beautiful parts and all the 'imperfections', and love ourselves. Think of all the marriages and miracles it took for you to be created!

The girls in the magazines are gorgeous - but I wouldn't trade myself in for anything different. I'll take my wide hips - it reminds me that I was made to become a mom one day. I'll take the ethnic nose - it alludes to the uniqueness of my heritage. I'll take the occasional skin imperfections - if this is the worst I have to deal with, I am one blessed girl.

To me, beauty is a smile, a sense of contentment, and an all-knowing confidence that you look exactly as God intended. It's not so much about seeing and thinking you are perfect, but being thankful for what you have and loving the 'imperfections' (and hey, thanks God for my eyes, I really like them.) 

When you accept and love who you are, so many worries, comparisons, and insecurities just fade away. You are truly beautiful - and deserve to believe it.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written!! Love it!! Thank you for this encouragement - I needed to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Afton. Thank you for reading!

      Delete